An update from Tenkai

Where have you been?
In early September, I accepted a position as a Firmware Engineer at a Product Design firm called Synapse. Starting Zetaohm was a very ambitious project. I decided to (not really knowing much about microcontrollers) design, prototype, develop, iterate, iterate, iterate, manufacture, market, distribute and sell a product. This made me uniquely suited to working in the Product Design Consulting field. I have been working on Computer Vision + Machine Learning on the Edge and have been focusing in the Micromobility space.

What about FLXS1?
Today I am open sourcing FLXS1. I want to give back to the modular community, and I want to make it easier for folks to make updates to their modules if they wish. I also hope that some of you are programmers and would like to make improvements that could be released as features. I have updated the github project with the firmware source code, and I will make a new repo with the hardware design files. all my hardware files are currently in a mono repo, so that data will come shortly

What about ZMF1?
it’s almost finished! AGH I am so close, but there are some stupid little problems that need to be fixed before its ready, and the knobs are all way too close together. I anticipate that one will arrive sometime early next year.

What does this mean for Zetaohm?
Well, Zetaohm is not going away. I am not closing the company, nor am I ceasing support for my products. If you have problems, contact me (directly, -tenkai at zetaohm- I am closing the fresh desk site soon) and I will see if I can help you find a resolution. The upside to this whole thing is that I had to teach myself electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and firmware engineering skills while I designed FLXS1. Now I have someone else paying me to do research and build things for other people. I am doing really interesting work that has potential tie ins to the music instrument space. And I still dream about FLXS2. All the things I would do better and faster and more flexibly. FPGA based sequencers, computer vision interfaces, RS485 networked modular nodes. I have nothing but dreams for Zetaohm. If you share those dreams, let me know. I’m not finished.

Soooo is the flxs1 development dead?
pinned #2

Also, if folks are interested in participating, I would love help with:

• Programming
  • Social Media / Forum Support

Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks for the update! Glad your alive. I’m not too github savvy but Is the idea that people will share on this forum alternative firmware? (Chords mode, wink, wink, anyone?:wink:)

That would totally be possible. I’m open sourcing it because I would like to give back to the community what it gave to me. FLXS1 would have never been possible without the mutable instruments open source projects. I’m releasing it with the same license.

Exciting news! Thanks for making this happen.
Really looking forward to learning more.

Thanks for the update, great news all round. Really left supporters hanging for some time, but I get how these things go. Excited to see what the community comes up with, wish I had some skills to contribute :confused:

I may be able to help with some social media support. I run the colorado modular synth society so I am updating the socials all the time haha. DM if you have something in mind or just need to talk it out. cheers.

It would be great to see finished firmware 19a. Thanks

Tenkai, congratulations on the new position!!! Sounds like a good job, and awesome the FLXS1 could help develop some of your skills!!!

Being a complete noob at programming, where could I start to learn more about programming the FLXS1 please? I’ve played with arduino boards before if that helps!

Cheers.

Chris.

Hi Chris!

Thanks for your well wishes and your interest :slight_smile:

The first step would probably be to familiarize yourself with the Teensy platform. https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/ FLXS1 is based on the Teensy 3.2

Second, I would check out PlatformIO, and download Microsoft Vscode, and install the platformio extension. This is the toolchain I use. Its a really nice programming environment. With this, you can clone the repo, and build and upload the code.

We need to get some kind of FAQ going so folks can make sense of whats going on.

Awesome, thank you for that. I will take a look. It all sounds very interesting how it all goes together!