Feature requests for the flxs1

I would like to start a thread on some feature requests.

Us sharing our ideas and experiences with the flxs1 will only help in development and improving the unit.

I’ll start with this one. I’ve found myself looking for this a few times and thought some shortcut would be nice to have.

Let’s say you only have a 16 step sequence to keep it easy. Ok so let say I have trigs on 13,15,16,. I then find I want to move these to 9,11, and 12. Instead of entering in new trigs or copying each one by hand it would be nice like maybe in multi select you would select the trigs you want to “move” or “shift”. Then using the encoder you could move the selected trigs . Like it would keep the same trigs you have selected and spacing and just shift them up or down 1 trig per encoder click.

I’m guessing this is what the “move” shortcut might do.

Hope that makes sense. Couldn’t quite word it right but I hope you get the drift.

This might help for some happy surprises.

Interesting. I’ve thought of a whole sequence shift before, but not the move a couple steps. Multistep copy would be simpler to implement.

I also like the whole sequence shift idea because I definitely could have used that many times. Shift as in transpose the pitch of the trigs? Right?

The multi select copy would get the job done. I kinda thought about how the digitakt has the micro timing move and kinda thought about it in the flxs implemented in a different way, but I found some nice suprises moving the trigs to get different pattern I wouldn’t normally program myself.

Kinda poly rhythms.

I didn’t explain my self very well. I guess just a sequence shift or move on a page by page basis would be fine. I was just thinking if you had a 64 step sequence you maybe wouldn’t want to shift the whole sequence.

Oooh feature requests!

#1 A chord mode would be really cool, where two tracks could be combined into the chord track. ie. cv3a is root, cv3b is third, cv4a is fifth, and cv4b is 7th. The sequence allows chords (and their inversion/voicing) to be picked for each step instead of individual notes.

A super dope feature on top of the chord track would be that the other non-chord tracks would show somewhere on the screen what chord was playing on the chord track at that time of that step so that intelligent choices about lead/bass could be made within the context of the chord progression.

#2 Another cool feature would if there was a performance scale mode where while a sequence was playing the 4x4 grid instead allowed notes within the scale to be turned on and off. Only the first two rows would be needed (depending on the scale), but it would allow the performer to, for example drop all thirds and 7ths in the sequence, and those notes would instead be quantized up to the fifth and octave, then bring them back in at a later time. Also interesting if that could be done on the chord track, for example, playing the chord as just the root, fifth, and 7th, but that being dictated at performance time.

(As an aside, I saw the mention of open sourcing the firmware, and these were two ideas that popped into my mind as to things that could be added. I’ve been programming for 20+ years but haven’t ever done embedded development, so I’m not sure what the learning curve to transition into that is, or what the state of the code base is and how difficult these would be.)

I have thought about a chord feature. Maybe ch1+2 could be a tetrachord with a redundant gate, and ch3+4 could be another tetrachord. A possibility… You aren’t the only one asking for chords :slight_smile:

You can already perform the quantizer in the quantizer menu. Just select the mode, and you can create a new mode, live.

Holy hell how have I not been missing chords in this thing that is a great idea.

I also feel that the front panel stuff should be a main focus. I know if I was purchasing a new unit now and a bunch of the front panel stuff want functioning yet it would be a little disappointing. I would love to have real time record. And all of the other shortcuts working. I want to use the record button.

I know you are integrating the midi record. Will that also allow you to transpose sequences on the fly with a midi keyboard??

Had to play around with it for a bit to understand what you meant, but I get it now. I didn’t realize one could press the buttons when a scale was selected to make a custom scale, but that does exactly what I was asking for. I also noticed that it won’t allow selection of a pitch outside of the chosen scale in step edit too which is cool (though it requires several clicks of the encoder, one for each pitch it’s skipping, not sure if that’s a bug or not). The only challange now is that after I’ve turned intervals off in the custom scale, I have to remember which ones to turn back on. Time to start memorizing more scales than just maj/min :joy:

Yeah, it would be great, especially if the voicings got the same modulation/randomization treatment as other places in the module.

What would be absolutely next level would be a configurable chord substitution matrix with cv or random% control over the substitutions such that you could do something like setup that 10% of the time IV is replaced with vi, and I is replaced with either iii or vi based on cv1. At that point the modular starts to become a reharmonization machine.

Back from dreaming about what-ifs, I agree that finishing the shortcuts would be great. I was pretty stoked to see the tuner shortcut, then not so stoked to realize nothing is there.

The midi notes input recording/sequences transposition is the thing I wait the most, and I totally agree about the front panel stuff, but as we are in a “future feature” request topic I’d like to mention :
Would it be possible to implement some CV scale learning mode, in the style of what Marbles can do with some statistic analysis to learn what must be each scale degrees ?
Next level would be to combine this with the tuner function to do some audio/CV harmonisation directly but I think the processing power may be a problem for this one…

i hadn’t heard of this feature, are there any videos out there that describe it well?

I haven’t seen any videos of this actually but here’s the stuff out of the manual

I think I saw it there too, but maybe I only read it in the manual, though… :sweat_smile:

Is there still only one song? More patterns are great - I need more songs to really use this in my live setup.

Still one song for now.

My FRs
Some of these you already have on your radar.

1. record midi notes to sequencer
  2. microtiming
  3. clock output divisions and settings
  4. per step gate delays (goes back to microtimig buy hey… Sue me)
  5. more random options random only cvb, random evelope times etc ,
  6. tuning as discussed early on. Possibly even the mode where it sees incoming oscillator and adjusts voltage curve to compensate.

Ten mentioned this before, but i’d love to see it- Arpeggios that speed up or slow down over time!!!
would be insanely cool.

Do you mean like a bouncing ball effect with the arp? I would like that too

Also if you use the cv in to change the arp speed you can kinda get the effect but not quite the same. I think I remember trying this. Have looked into it in a while

If you want a “real” bouncing ball I think it’s hard to do it sequencerwise in the software because of the random number of steps and “infinite” density limit toward the end… But why not use a real bouncing ball enveloppe, from an external patch or module (like for example peak’s dead’s man catch OS offers), and then via thresold detection generate gates to drive the sequencer steps… you would then have a “bouncing ball” sequence, won’t you? :grinning:

Maybe via internal modulation you can already achieve something very similar with the current firmwares by routing another CV out to the arp speed. :wink:
Or you can also copy an arpegiated step multiple times and modify each instance in order to be probability conditioned (like, occurs 10% of the time only) and to arpegiate at different rates… It should make an ever changing “cascade” of notes around a chord or set of intervals…

I don’t know if it may be of any use but anyway, those were fun thoughts experiments both your comments evoked me, so : thanks !

The arpeggio modulation does not work this way, it looks at what the modulation level is at the time the step with the arpeggio fires and uses that level to determine the arp speed for the duration of the arp. it does not adjust the level of the arp in real time, so achieving this using this method is not possible.