FLXS1 Firmware 20b3

Hey everyone, heres a tiny update, as requested by erik and @alexblaxx.

Very few changes here, mostly cleaning up a mess I made before:

1. 20b2: fixed note names for chromatic notes.
  2. 20b2: fixed the default pitch, it is back to C0 (0v - the way it was originally)
  3. 20b3: re-fixed randomization

Trying to spend some more time on FLXS1 stuff these days. Work has slowed down a bit, so its given me an opportunity to take a look at the code again and reacquaint myself with where we are at. I am going to focus on MIDI input recording first, which will require some kind of gate delay and custom timing sequences. There are a couple things to think about when implementing MIDI note input on a sequencer.

• do you record step by step, programming a sequence with each successive note?
  • do you record a midi sequence exactly as it was played?
  • how do you handle polyphonic input?
  • how does it interact with the arpeggiator?

Each of these questions has many answers. Each has many ways it could be implemented. This is a difficult problem to solve. And I have been thinking about it for years at this point. One of the reasons I never implemented this part was because I diddn’t have a clear vision of how it should work. I have been playing with some keyboard synths lately, and so I have a new appreciation for the nuances of translating a keyboard to a sequence controller.

pinned #2

This is great news … AIR HORN

This is particularly exciting for me because the midi record via USB functionality is what I’ve most wanted.

• do you record step by step, programming a sequence with each successive note? not typical for my workflow.
  • do you record a midi sequence exactly as it was played? yes. thats probably as a result of my MPC background. Id love to do that with the fluxus1. then if I want I can go in and muck around with the steps in the sequencer.
  • how do you handle polyphonic input? same. as played into the sequencer - midi over usb.
  • how does it interact with the arpeggiator? the same as a keyboard synth with arp interacts. If there is a way to put it into arp mode while playing and allow it to trigger arps (according to arp mode settings - i.e. arp pattern, oct, div etc.)

Great news .

• do you record sequences in step by step? Yes some times, this is a keystep/ xoxbox mindset for me and is good. Real time input is also desired (possibly with varied levels of input quantize)

• do you record the midi sequence exactly as it was played ? Again this is up to input quantize and up to real-time vs step input.

• how do you handle polyphonic Input? If you are asking how to solve for it. I suggest high or low note priority selectable. Last note likely wouldn’t work unless all the notes fell within a certain time frame (this goes back to input quantize)

-arp? This could be handled a few ways you could have a senate trigger input to turn arp on / off per input step. Or you could have a record arp mode in which case each step could be an arp you program via midi keys.

Oh man, just the thought of midi recording is giving me so much joy I just tipped my food delivery guy an extra 5 bucks!

• do you record step by step, programming a sequence with each successive note? Nah, I used to but at this point, if I am going to go through the trouble of integrate using midi in my euro set up I am going to want a more complex way of building seas; step by step may just as time-consuming as the current set up in flxs-1.
  • do you record a midi sequence exactly as it was played? I agree with BBoytech, this is a great way to start the building block of a sequence. This could also mean being able to do a few “versions” across different slots super quickly.
  • how do you handle polyphonic input? yeah that’s a tough one for me. I was actually using FLXS-1 to send poly to my volca FM and boy is that ever a chore to do progressions haha. Anyhow a chords mode would be great. I really have no idea how that works but maybe its something like how the chords v2 take root note and build chords.
  • how does it interact with the arpeggiator? I like that you can do arp step by step and am totally okay with recording midi without the arp since I can also go back and deal with arps in editing.

Thanks sir, for tackling this. This will be such a game-changer for so many people I am sure!

Very excited to hear progress is being made on the firmware!

I sent you a direct message but wanted to point out that applying random to a channel seems to be broken in 20b2. it sets everything to c -2 no matter what it seems, instead of randomizing it.

• do you record step by step, programming a sequence with each successive note?
    No, it would be more useful to have if function so that you can select a step and press a note on the midi keyboard, and it enters that note on that step

• do you record a midi sequence exactly as it was played?
    it would be great if for live midi recording to a sequence you had two options.
    An unquantize record mode using step delay so notes can fall off the grid and a quantized to the grid mode.

• how do you handle polyphonic input?
    high or low note priority selectable

• how does it interact with the arpeggiator?
    i agree with the previous post, dont really need arpeggiator function while recording, you can go back and add arps to steps after recording. setting uniqe arps per step is one of the things that makes the flxs so special, and i dont see any way that could be possible to that detail without using the current method.
    you could do something with simpler arps where if you hold multiple notes down it arpeggitates between them (at a definable rate and pattern?), but that seems like it would be a whole new way for the flxs1 to handle arpeggios and might be more trouble than is worth?

one other thing i would suggest with midi recording, it would be cool if there was an option for the velocity value to be written to the CVb channels!

Fixed! I updated the download link above to 20b3. Thanks for the note :smiley:

Thank you to everybody for your input!

After reading everyone’s responses, a new question comes to mind. How do we set up the length of recording a live input? I think ideally what would happen is that you could start recording by starting to play, and then it will record until you hit stop, at which point it would calculate how to map the sequence over the time length that has elapsed, quantize it, and write the sequence out, and then play. That is one place I am getting hung up. I guess having a fixed length of time that you are recording for before you begin to record could help, or a fixed clock speed /quantization grid that can be configured before you begin recording. I feel like I have to have a set quantization before I begin the record, because you have to play it back the first time the way it is going to be recorded, so that when it loops, it sounds the same as when you played it the first time. That means throwing out notes that would be quantized out, etc. maybe i am over thinking it…

Thanks for the fix, will update tonight!
I was thinking you would just set the number of steps/length you want in your sequence like you normally do.
Hit record when your ready, play the midi in, and it puts the notes in where need be, and it keeps looping like it normally would. If you add more midi notes while it’s looping after you’ve already record something, it will just overwrite the with the new data.

I am so glad your working on the updates, I have 2 of them :slight_smile:
I would like easier functionality of CV B. I tried using it for a while but seemed to have some quirks that made it not as usable and friendly as I’d like.
I’ve been using my flxs1 as a keyboard sending voltage to other modules and holding down the button sending the gate my ADSR opening envelope sweeps into filters. Is there a way to have channel 1 not play, when I press play and have the other 3 channels play the sequence
that way I can continue using the 1st channel as a cv keyboard, but have the other 3 channels play sequences?

Hi! So I was finally able to update my FLXS1 (firmware 20b3) for the first time and here are two things I’d like to point out:

• the note names are still gone, the notes themselves and also the scales are just represented by numbers
  • personally, I think the screensaver comes in MUCH too quick, it barely leaves time to really look at all the options on the screen
  • other than that, still looks fantastic! I’ve been using the FLXS1 as my main sequencer since last October and still love it :slight_smile:

BlockquoteHit record when your ready, play the midi in, and it puts the notes in where need be, and it keeps looping like it normally would. If you add more midi notes while it’s looping after you’ve already record something, it will just overwrite the with the new data.

Good points but Id say have the option to overwrite or overdub.

How would overdub work for a monophonic sequence? You can only have one note play at a time on a single channel. Wouldn’t it need to be overwrite?

am still very new to the flxs1 and music technology but I wouldn’t want a fixed length prior to recording. a fixed clock speed sync to the main tempo would be useful (hopefully this will still allow me to go in after and nudge individual steps a few millisec if needed/ looking forward to per step gate delays in the future).

“I think ideally what would happen is that you could start recording by starting to play, and then it will record until you hit stop” this is perfect for me.

I think you need a set record time, like 64 steps, so the loop is always playing in time. But where the notes actually fall, well you could have it play back just as was recorded, or have a quantize function, where you could quantize the notes to the closest step. Just like on the OPz, which works really well.

Shame about the circumstances, but great to see you back on the code Tenkai.

Strange, my note names returned with 20b2 and are still there in 20b3, I don’t think my scale names ever disappeared/turned to numbers.

I think there is a bug in v20b3
when using external CLK set to clock port
when I turn off my system and turn it back on the my external clock won’t play
I have to go to settings on flxs1 tempo change it back to internal and then back to external CLK to work

oddly enough, when I went back to v19 and then tried the update again a bit later, the note names where back to normal.

Thanks for releasing new updates, very excited for those! I just noticed the note names are off in multi-select mode. It would be great to see those fixed in the next update.

Thanks!

I noticed that my scales turned to only numbers after updating to 20b3.